||[Nov. 16th, 2005|09:00 am]
That's last night's numbers - I've cleaned up about 1,000 words this morning, getting a good start on my quota. I had to pepper them across GG and Familiar, though, as I realized I set up the kind of scene in GG that begs for a scene that "wouldn't have happened if only..." ...so I need to come up with what happened. The first thing that came to mind I've already done once in the novel, and I'm disinclined to keep beating the readers with the 'prejudice is bad' stick, at least, any more than they already are being hit.
Heh. One of the cats just did the prairie dog thing again. I'd never seen a cat do that before them.
Familiar, meanwhile... stupid minor character. You were supposed to say 'yes'. Not 'no'. Now I have to write scenes where they convince you. And I know you had good reasons for saying 'no', but I hope you realize you were basically arguing with me, The Author (a.k.a. the God of your puny little world), and I wanted you to say 'yes', goddamn it. Blast it all.
Still juggling ideas for the end of the book. Latest idea sets up nicely for a sequel while wrapping up all the important bits for this book, but is an 'Oh! It was all a misunderstanding!' ending, and I'm not sure I like that. It's plausible, more or less, I will give it that. Since it's the neatest ending I've come up with so far, maybe that's the one I'll go with. Y'know, if certain characters will stop freaking getting in the way of plot and freaking give the characters what they need to go forward.
Oh. In other news, MiaC now has a more appropriate working title: "A Gift from God". I doubt it would sell, but it's more closely tied with what's actually going on in the story, as opposed to being something I tacked on to have a working title to refer to it by. "My Story" doesn't cut it when I'm writing two at the same time.
Work's going more or less well. Need to have a shower. Hoping to finish up coding today. Was v. surprised that my code worked, and think it was without caveats this time. May have a few bugs, but have a good idea of where they might be, and further testing should find them and I can eliminate them if necessary.